Studies have clearly linked fatigue to increases in human error, accidents, injuries and poor performance. In fact, one study found that fatigued workers cost U.S. employers more than $136 billion per year in lost productivity.
In addition, several studies have confirmed that fatigue impairment can produce a similar impairment as alcohol in terms of logical reasoning, concentration, information processing, judgment, hand-eye coordination, and reaction times. Quite simply, as people perform without sufficient rest, the likelihood of errors and accidents increases.
How CIRCADIAN can help you:
- Fatigue Risk Management Systems. CIRCADIAN® has nearly 30 years of experience in developing and implementing fatigue risk management systems (FRMS). An FRMS is a data-driven, risk-informed, safety performance-based proactive program to mitigate the risks of fatigue in 24/7 operations.
- Shift Schedule Optimization. By working with employees, unions, and management, CIRCADIAN develops schedule options that meet the business needs, satisfy worker preferences, and are compatible with human physiology to promote health, safety, and alertness.
- Training: Managing a Shiftwork Lifestyle. This on-site training program provides critical information to help employees deal with the challenges of working shiftwork, including fatigue, alertness, sleep, nutrition, health and family/social life.
- Staffing Level Analysis. The optimal staffing level can be determined by a CIRCADIAN algorithm that provides a step-by-step analysis of the essential positions to be filled on each shift.
- 24/7 Workplace Evaluation and Design. By incorporating specific design features, including lighting, sound, temperature, and ergonomic principles into your facility, employee alertness can be maximized at any time of the day or night.