Expanding to 7 Day
The Situation: In today's global economy, many plants operating on traditional 5-day production schedules are finding it difficult to compete. They may experience:
- Significant idle capacity.
- Excessive overtime as employees are asked to work weekends.
- High turnover - especially if token crews are used on the weekends.
- Moreover, weekly startups and shutdowns only further reduce productivity and efficiency.
Sooner or later comes the realization that something must be done and that more efficient utilization of equipment and human assets must be obtained. This can best be accomplished by expanding the plant to a 7-day continuous operation.
The Problem: Unfortunately, such conversions are extremely complex and fraught with pitfalls that can have disastrous consequences if not properly planned and managed. To achieve all of the benefits of continuous operations requires major cultural, organizational, and operational change. While the opportunity to reduce unit costs, achieve greater asset utilization, defer capital expenditures, and better meet customer needs is alluring, the effect on the people throughout your organization is dramatic. Many problems must be solved before the new ways of working can be accepted.
How CIRCADIAN can help you
CIRCADIAN provides specialized assistance in planning and facilitating 5- to 7-day plant expansions. These technical and tactical support services are designed to help you realize the full benefits of the change, and achieve the desired return-on-investment.
- Expanding to 7 Day Operations. CIRCADIAN provides specialized assistance to plan and facilitate 5- to 7-day plant expansions. Based on 25 years of hands-on field experience, CIRCADIAN's support services will help you to realize the full benefits of the change, and to achieve the desired return-on-investment.
- Shift Schedule Optimization. By working with employees, unions, and management, CIRCADIAN develops schedule options that meet the business needs, satisfy worker preferences, and are compatible with human physiology to promote health, safety, and alertness. This ensures that the best possible scheduling solution will be achieved.
- Managing a Shiftwork Lifestyle. This on-site training program provides critical information to help employees better deal with the unique challenges of working shiftwork, especially with night shifts, rotating schedules, and long extended hours. This training includes practical information on fatigue, alertness, sleep, nutrition, health, family/social life and more. Studies confirm that this training not only provides substantial improvements in employee health, safety and performance, but also serves to maximize the overall benefits of the new or existing schedule.
- Educational Support Publications. Educating safety-sensitive and quality-critical employees about fatigue and helping them be fully rested on the job is a non-stop challenge. To reinforce and maintain the benefits of employee training and/or scheduling changes, or to simply provide practical information to help them better cope with the special challenges of shiftwork, support publications can serve a critical function. CIRCADIAN has developed a range of award-winning publications specifically written to sustain the benefits of its in-person consulting and training, as well as provide knowledge that will empower employees to take better control in improving their own health, safety, and performance.